A perfect excuse to have peanut butter and chocolate for breakfast!
After I made the super easy cinnamon rolls I was itching to make them again, they were so good and so quick to bash out they had to be done again. This time I decided to mix things up and fill them with peanut butter and chocolate instead of cinnamon. Sweet and salty perfection!
Now, I’m not the biggest fan of chocolate with peanut butter which is blasphemy to some of you I’m sure. I overdosed on peanut butter m&ms once when I was teenager and I just haven’t enjoyed it the same since. So who knows what made me decide to make these but I’m glad I did. They were super yummy without the peanut butter filling being too overwhelming.
I used the same dough recipe I did on the cinnamon rolls, it’s wonderfully fluffy and rises beautifully with only one proving time needed. What more do you want from a sweet roll dough? I’ll include the recipe for the dough in this post so you don’t have to flip between recipes, I don’t want to delay your sweet roll gratification even a millisecond! Just pop the filled and cut rolls in a warm place (I heat an oven to 150C, turn it off and put the rolls in) for 60 minutes and you’re good to go!
They’re filled with a yummy mixture of creamy peanut butter and brown sugar, which is a much more satisfying filling that peanut butter fillings made with icing sugar. Then sprinkled with semi-sweet chocolate chips, you can use milk chocolate if you wish but personally I think peanut butter goes best with a more bittersweet chocolate. Roll it up and cut it into even slices and place in your dish! Once you’ve let them rise (see above), they just need baking for 25 minutes.
It’s not quite time to gobble them all up yet, you have to glaze them first. I used a simple chocolate glaze which is lovely and satiny, just chocolate, corn syrup (boo, hiss I know but what you gonna do) and butter made in a double boiler. I’ve seen some people use cream cheese frosting for it, which sounds a bit odd to me but whatever floats your boat. Drizzle it on while the rolls are still hot!
Now you can dig in and eat as many as you can handle! Feel free to share if you’re feeling nice and if you can’t eat them all at once, just cover them with cling film and stick in the microwave for 30 seconds before eating one!
[recipe title=”Peanut Butter & Chocolate Rolls” time=”2hr 30mins”]
For the rolls:
- 345g all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package instant yeast (1 packet = 7g)
- 120ml water
- 60ml milk
- 40g unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
For the filling:
- 150g brown sugar
- 250g creamy peanut butter
- 175g semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the glaze:
- 80g semi-sweet chocolate ships
- 1/2 tbsp corn syrup
- 25g unsalted butter
Make the dough
- Set aside 75g of the flour. Then toss the remaining flour, sugar, salt and yeast together in a big bowl. Set aside
- Put the water, milk and butter in a bowl and microwave until the butter is melted and mixture is hot, about 45 degrees C. Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture until combined. Stir in the egg and enough of the reserved flour to make a soft, smooth dough. The dough is ready when it comes away from the side of the bowl and is elastic in consistency.
- Lightly flour your worktop and knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Place in a lightly greased bowl and leave it to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a 14 x 8 inch rectangle
Make the filling and bake
- Stir together the brown sugar and peanut butter and spread evenly over the dough, going right up to the edges
- Sprinkle on the chocolate chips
- Roll up length ways and cut into even slices
- Place in light greased 9×9 dish, cover loosely with foil and place in a warm, draught free place for 60-90 minutes
- Remove risen rolls from the oven (if proving in there) and preheat the oven to 190C/375F and bake for 25 minutes or until they have gone a light golden colour
Make the glaze and eat!
- Put the chocolate, corn syrup and butter in double and stir until melted.
- Drizzle over the still hot rolls
- Serve warm and enjoy!