Magic cake you guys! It’s actually magic! Or it’s science, which is kind of like magic to those of us who don’t understand science (i.e. me). You mix up one cake batter, pour it into a pan, bake it and voila – you have three separate layers when it’s done. A dense, chewy layer. A creamy custard layer. And a light sponge layer. It’s magic!! I’m very excited about it!
I was first introduced to this amazing cake by Lily at Little Sweet Baker and as soon as I saw it I knew I had to give it a go and see for myself. I used her recipe, the only thing I changed was I made mine chocolate because I’m a sucker for chocolate. I was sure mine wasn’t going to work and there was gonna be some secret magic touch you needed, waiting for it to cool down so I could cut into it and see if it worked was like torture! As soon as I could I sliced it down the centre and there it was, all layered! It really does do all the work itself, that clever little cake! It’s funny actually, a few days before I saw this beauty of Lily’s blog my best friend’s mum (or my second mother, as I like to call her) had been telling me about this dessert she used to have when she was a kid – it was called Jello 1-2-3 and you’d mix it up with water and put it in the fridge to set, and it set into three separate layers – a jello bottom, a mousse middle and foamy top! It must use the same magic!
I did have to start over halfway through though because I overwhipped my egg whites, I still maintain it wasn’t my fault I’d only been whipping them for 60 seconds I swear! But this still happened:
I blame the eggs, they were out to get me 😉 Moving on…
This chocolate magic cake isn’t only magic, it’s really yummy too! I adored the texture, for me it was kind of like eating a really creamy cheesecake. I’m going to be honest with you guys, I didn’t share much of this one, I just couldn’t part with it! You should definitely give this baby a go, not just to see the magic for yourselves but also because it really is so tasty! It’s easy to make too, as long as you don’t have eggs that are out to sabotage you that is! The hardest part is waiting to be able to cut into it so you can see the layers!
I’m going to bring this magic treat along to Fiesta Friday, because what’s a party without a little magic? Come party with us, it’s our lovely host’s birthday so there’s no better time! We’ve also got some fab co hosts this week, Suzanne and Sue
October is Lupus Awareness Month and I’m trying to raise awareness for the cause. You can find out more info and enter my giveaway here
Today’s Lupus fact (click the photo for more info):
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 150g sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 125g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 500ml luke warm milk
- 115g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a 8x8" baking pan with greaseproof paper, leaving overhang at the sides.
- Using the whisk attachment on your stand mixer, or a handheld electric mixer, beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks, vanilla and sugar until pale - about 2 minutes.
- Add the butter to this mix and beat until it thickens.
- Add the milk gradually and mix until fully combined.
- Sift the flour into mix and beat until all combined.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the mixture until just combined, working quickly. It may be a bit lumpy but that's okay.
- Carefully pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 160C/325F (without opening the oven) and bake for about 45-50 minutes. It is done when the cake is set but has a slight jiggle to it.
- Leave to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before turning out and cutting into squares
- Dust with icing sugar before serving (if using)
- Store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Remove from fridge 15 minutes before serving.
Sharing with these fab link parties and blog hops…
Fiesta Friday, Foodies Fridays, Show Me Saturdays, Super Saturdays, Scraptastic Saturdays, Frugal Crafty Home, Bewitchin’ Projects, Inspiration Monday, Time to Sparkle, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Inspire Me Wednesday, Create It Thursday