Happy Monday guys! It’s a particularly happy Monday for me because I’ve been dogsitting for my mum over the weekend and she’s home now! I’m not a dog person okay, don’t hate me! I don’t dislike dogs, I feel the same way about dogs as I do about kids – I love hanging out and playing with them, but I don’t want any of my own! The weekend was pretty exhausting though, dogs are hard work and the miniature dachshund is real mama’s girl, she spent the whole weekend pining after my mum!
I’ve got a nice simple recipe for y’all to start of the week. I said a while ago I was going to post one savoury, dinner type recipe a month and this bacon avocado grilled cheese recipe is October’s. Grilled cheese’s are an ultimate comfort food for me, they’re particularly good on these cold autumn evenings. I love to have them with tomato soup instead of bread, so yummy. When I was craving a grilled cheese one night but didn’t have any tomato soup to pair with it, I thought I’d kick it up a notch and add some tasty extras!
I’m a new convert to avocado, for the longest time I was convinced I didn’t like it but oh how wrong I was! Now I eat it any chance I get! And who doesn’t love bacon? When people go vegetarian, bacon is usually the thing they say they miss the most! It has to be the real thing for me too, turkey bacon just feels so wrong! The crispy saltiness of the bacon paired with the mild and creamy avocado is just a perfect match, and let’s be honest – cheese makes everything better! You can, of course, use any cheese that takes your fancy – personally I like to go with a nice, strong cheddar for my grilled cheeses. I also add a little lime to my avocado and a sprinkling of paprika in the cheese – heaven!!
- 2 slices of bread of your choice (I use tiger bread)
- 150g cheese of your choice, grated or thinly sliced
- 3 rashers bacon
- half an avocado
- juice of 1 lime (optional)
- 1/8 tsp paprika (optional)
- Knob of butter
- Cook the bacon to your desired crispiness, the crispier the better in my book! Set aside.
- Slice your avocado and squeeze on lime juice, if using. Set aside.
- Butter your bread if desired, layer half the cheese on one slice, sprinkle with half the paprika, if using.
- Add the bacon and avocado, then the rest of the cheese. Sprinkle on the rest of paprika, and place the other piece of bread on top, butter the top side of the sandwich.
- Head a frying pan or griddle on medium heat, and melt a small knob of butter in it. Place the sandwich in the pan, buttered side up, and fry for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese starts to melt and the underside is dark golden brown. Flip over and cook the other side for another few minutes, until cheese is all melted and gooey!
- Cut in half and serve.