Sweet, sticky dates stuffed with cinnamon roasted almonds, covered in rich dark chocolate. So simple to make and the perfect sweet, healthier snack.
Oh boy, I have got such a simple recipe for you guys today! Simply amazing, that is! But don’t let its simple, down-to-earth status fool you, it’s absolutely divine and you are just going to love it! Because these almond stuffed chocolate covered dates are full of natural goodness, natural sweetness and just enough chocolate to satisfy your cravings. As a certified chocoholic, I think these are gonna be my new go-to chocolate snack of choice!
These almond stuffed chocolate covered dates are super simple to make too, literally anybody can make them – so what are you waiting for? Your whole family (even the fussy eaters), your friends, your colleagues, your postman – they’re all gonna adore this easy, yummy snack. I mean, what’s not to love? Dates are like nature’s caramel, sweet and chewy with a rich taste. Add in delicious almonds and decadent dark chocolate and you’ve got a winner! And I think it’s pretty obvious by looking through this blog that I’m not too health concious, but with very little or no refined sugar (dependant on the chocolate you use) and all the health benefits that come with almonds and dark chocolate these almond stuffed chocolate covered dates are definitely more on the “healthier side” so you can enjoy a few extra without worrying!
There are so many different situations where these almond stuffed chocolate dates would be perfect too, and plenty more made up excuses to make them too (trust me, I’ll be finding plenty of reasons to whip up a batch). Why not make up a big batch and put them in a serving bowl in your entrance way or on your coffee table for people to nibble on when they visit or just relaxing, watching TV or a movie. Pop a few in the kids’ lunchboxes for a healthier sweet snack. Or take them to the office for yourself and snack on them for a quick afternoon pick me up, you can even share them if you’re feeling nice. They’re not just perfect for every day snacking and treats either, they’d make a great gift or even wedding/party favours – dress them up in treat bag and add a cute, custom label and you have a gorgeous, tasty gift for your guests! Because let’s face it, with all the sweet, sticky, chewy, crunchy goodness that’s in every bite of these almond stuffed chocolate covered dates, these will go down way better than those boring, played out sugared almonds!
- 500g fresh dates
- 75g roasted almonds*
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 500g dark chocolate (minimum 74% cocoa for best results, but can be changed to suit your personal tastes of course)
- Put the almonds in a bowl and add the cinnamon, toss to combine.
- Use a sharp pairing knife to slice lengthways down the side of a date, pull out the stone and push in an almond. Repeat with all dates.
- Place stuffed dates in the fridge for 30 minutes (not entirely necessary, but I find cold dates help the chocolate set quicker!)
- Melt half of the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, either in the microwave in 30 second intervals stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Or in a double boiler, stirring until melted and smooth.
- Gently stick a fork into the side of a date (or use a wooden skewer!) and dip completely in the chocolate. Let the excess chocolate drip off, tap the fork lightly on the side of the bowl to help it along, then place the date on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat until all dates are covered.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Melt the other half of the chocolate and re-dip the dates for a double coating and extra chocolate goodness.
- Chill in the fridge for another 30 minutes. Or pop in the freezer for a chewier, toffee like consistency
- *The amount of almonds depends on the amount of dates, you basically need as many almonds as you have dates. 75g is an approximate amount.
- You can buy raw almonds and roast them yourself if you prefer, flavour with whatever you like - cinnamon is my flavour of choice!
- Sprinkle coconut, crushed nuts, sea salt flakes or whatever you fancy on top of the freshly dipped dates for a fancier finish! For an even fancier, shiny finish temper the chocolate too!
- Store in the fridge or freezer
If you liked this recipe, please do share with your friends, family and pinterest using the social share buttons underneath this post or down the side of the page! And subscribe below to get new (and free!) recipes directly to your inbox!
You can also follow me on: