Whether you call it Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies, this Chocolate Peppermint Puppy Chow is the perfect Christmas snack! Full of festive flavours and totally addictive!
It’s day three of my Countdown ’til Christmas – I’m posting a festive recipe every day up until, and including, Christmas Eve. Yesterday I posted this Chocolate Peppermint Milkshake, is it weird to have 2 peppermint recipes in a row? Maybe, but it’s such a festive flavour you can’t really have too much of it this time of year can you? So I bring you Peppermint Puppy Chow!
Up until I made my own I’d never had Puppy Chow, aka Muddy Buddies, before. It’s definitely an American thing, or at least not a UK thing. But man, us Brits have really been missing out. I don’t know what makes this stuff so addictive, but it’s so hard to stop eating this stuff! In the US it’s generally made using Chex Mix, I used Shreddies. Usually, puppy chow is made with chocolate and peanut butter but I wanted to be festive so peppermint it was! I also made another festive version which I’ll post soon! I’ve yet to try the traditional chocolate and peanut butter, but I’m definitely going to try it soon!
Christmas is so nearly upon us guys, 8 days to go! I’m pretty much done with my shopping, I’m mostly just waiting for things to arrive because I’m lazy and do all my Christmas shopping online! Are you guys already done with yours? If you celebrate Christmas in your house that is of course! How about Hanukkah? Anybody doing anything nice for Hanukkah? Whatever you’re celebrating this year, or if you’re not celebrating anything, I hope you have a wonderful season! This puppy chow will be great to have out to snack on throughout the day, while you wrap presents or even when you have guests round – kids especially will love it!
And the best part, of course, is how is easy it is to make. You can have this ready to go in 30 minutes, and the majority of that time is just waiting for the chocolate to set up – then it’s puppy chow city! It’s called puppy chow because apparently looks like a brand of dog food in the US, but please don’t feed this to your dogs – I’m sure you already know not to give dogs chocolate, but just in case!
If you’d like to see more of my posts, why not enter your email into the subscription box on my side bar to get my posts directly to your inbox!
- 500g Malted Wheat Cereal (such as Shreddies, Chex Wheats etc)
- 175g dark chocolate
- 75g white chocolate
- 1/4 - 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 180g Icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 5 candy canes, crushed (optional)
- Melt the chocolates separately using your preferred method, I like to do it in the microwave in 30 second blasts, stirring in between.
- Add the peppermint extract to the melted dark chocolate, start with 1/4 tsp and test, add more as needed. A little peppermint goes a long way so it's always best to start off with a little and gradually add more until you get the desired taste. I used 1/2 tsp + a few drops total, you may use more or less.
- Measure out the cereal into a large bowl. Pour on the melted dark chocolate with peppermint and stir to cover the cereal as best you can. Pour on the white chocolate and stir to cover
- Transfer the mixture to a large container with a lid and add the icing sugar. Secure the lid and shake the container well to coat the mix in sugar.
- Stir in the crushed candy canes if using.
- Spread out on a lined cookie sheet to leave to cool and set.
- Store in a lidded container