A sophisticated mocktail that won’t make you feel like you are missing out. It’s perfect for Dry January, for guests who don’t drink alcohol, or just for when you’re feeling like something fancy and low abv (or no abv in this case!)
Mocktails often get a bad rap as, in a pub or bar, they often just amount to an overpriced glass of juice! If you’re hosting a party or get together, don’t leave your guests who aren’t drinking with the boring choice of water or soda – make them a real mocktail that has all the balance and taste of a cocktail, just minus the alcohol. They’ll love you for it! It’s also a great choice for those of you who are doing Dry January, Sober October, or just trying to cut down – you won’t feel like you’re missing out with the lack of booze!
To make this feel like you’re drinking a cocktail, I’ve used flavours that you’d often find in craft cocktail – lots of fresh flavours, botanicals, and a great balance of sweet, tart, and herbal with a blend of citrus, mint, cardamon, black pepper, and ginger. Glancing at the recipe and ingredient list at first might make it seem like a lot of work for a mocktail, but I promise you that it’s really easy to make! The infused lemon juice can also be made in batches if you’re planning to make a few.
The most important part, the mocktail recipe! All my recipes are for a single cocktail, but are easily doubled as needed depending on how many you make!
High 'n' Dry Mocktail
Yield 1 mocktail
A delicious and sophisticated mocktail to satisfy all your Dry January, Sober October, and Low ABV needs!
For the Infused Lemon Juice:
- 3/4 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- 5 Fresh Mint Leaves
- 4 Cracked Cardamom Pods
- A Pinch of Angelica Root
For the Black Pepper Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (120ml) water
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
For the Mocktail
- 3/4 oz Infused Lemon Juice
- 1/2 oz Fresh Orange Juice
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Simple Syrup
- 1/4 oz Fresh Ginger Juice
- 1 oz Egg White (1 oz Aquafaba to keep it vegan friendly)
- 1 oz Tonic Water
- Glass: Coupe
- Garnish: Fresh Mint Leaf
To make the Infused Lemon Juice:
- Put all ingredients in a jar, seal and shake well.
- Leave to infused in the fridge for 24-48 hours, then strain
To make the Black Pepper Simple Syrup:
- Put all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil
- Turn down heat to a simmer, and simmer for 5 mins
- Remove from heat, cover and leave to steep for 2-4 hours.
- Strain well
To make the Mocktail:
- Put all ingredients, except tonic water, into a shaker and shake hard with out ice for about 20 seconds (this is called a dry shake)
- Add a good handful of ice and shake well to chill
- Strain into a coupe and pour in the tonic water
- Garnish with a fresh mint leaf on top of the foam
Store infused lemon juice and black pepper simple syrup in the fridge
Infused lemon juice will keep for a week
Simple syrup will keep for a few months at least
Serving Size 1 cocktail
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 0.1 g
Total Carbohydrates 10.1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.