Super moistly and chocolatey brookies – a cross between a cookie and a brownie, the best of both worlds!
Okay, I have a confession to make. These weren’t intended to be brookies, I was trying to make chocolate and avocado cookies but they turned out more like brownies. But these chocolate avocado brookies were amazing and way better than I had originally imagined, so it was definitely a successful mistake! In hindsight, the fact that the “dough” was more a batter than a dough should have been my first clue, and I should have just spread it in a brownie pan. But I do like the rustic look of these and after I baked the first tray and realised how sticky the batter was, I decided to use a mini muffin pan and make brookie cups, which are adorably bite sized.
As you’d expect these are more on the cakey side of the brownie spectrum (or cookie side!), but the avocado makes them really moist and with jumbo chocolate chips there’s so much chocolately goodness in each little bite. I won’t pretend like these are healthy, but replacing the butter with avocado does allow you to pretend like you’re eating something good!
I actually made these cute yummy things for a very good friend of mine, for no reason other than I wanted to make her smile (which is the best reason to bake for somebody). She lives in Rhode Island so they were mailed to her (from Atlanta), she told me they were the best thing she’s ever eaten so I can confirm that these last well for a few days and travel well! I’ll be bringing these along to Fiesta Friday too, so I hope they enjoy them too!
I actually made these a few weeks ago, but I’m glad I saved the recipe. I’ve been baking a lot this week but things I’ve posted very recently. It was my best friend’s birthday yesterday and she wanted me to bake her the Nutella Stuffed Cinnamon Mini Muffins and it’s her sister’s birthday today and she wanted me to make the Chocolate and Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats. So I didn’t have time to bake something new. Luckily this recipe is great and are the perfect Fiesta Friday treat!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup mashed ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 box instant chocolate pudding (NOT sugar free or cook-and-serve)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz chopped dark chocolate
- 8oz jumbo semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C, grease a mini muffin pan
- Mix the flour, bicarb and cocoa powder in a bowl and set aside
- Combine avocado, sugars, pudding mix and vanilla in a mix bowl. Beat until smooth and creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until fully combined. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until just combined, scraping down the sides to make sure all is incorporated.
- Stir in chopped chocolate by hand until evenly dispersed.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin holes, about 1 tbsp each
- Bake for 15 minutes, until set around the top and eges
- Leave to cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes, then carefully remove from pan and leave to cool completely. They are great eaten when still warm though.
- Store in airtight container for 5-7 days